Would a Jr. High teacher let 8th grade students write, produce, direct, and perform a "play". Don't get me wrong, I think that it is "important" for them to know how to do these things BUT it does not need to be done all at once. This weekend I went to see 3 of my Jr. High girls in a play at there school. The girls did a GREAT job for what they were given. The "play" consisted of 7 fractured fairy tails that were all written, directed, produced, acted, and directed by 8th grade students. Most of the plays made NO SENSE AT ALL, and a couple of them were completely inappropriate for Jr. High students to preform, and listen to. Was the teacher not paying attention to what they were saying and writing? To make this strange "play" (if you can call it that) worse there were back outs after ever two sentences. NO JOKE. The black outs were long - most the time point less- and with very cheese music. They seemed to have a hard time finding the pause button because for about 5 black outs in a row we would here the start of the SAME SUPER SILLY STRANGE SONG.
If you think I am the only one who did not understand you are mistaken, all the adults felt this way. And even the Jr. High girls that came with me to support their friends kept turning to me and asking what was going on, and when it would be over. I was very proud of the girls who came to watch - they told the performers they did a good job, and let that be the end of it.
So in short if you work with students and you let them write and act something make sure it is really ready for an audience before you charge people to come - this way they are not sitting wondering when it will get better - for an hour and a half.
To MY JR. HIGH GIRLS I will always care for you and support you. Please do not take this the wrong way. I do not blame you at all.
TO MY OTHER READERS please note that the girls in the play had a fun time with the process that they went through. I think that the teacher should have had the students perform the fractured fair tales to other drama students in the school, not to the "paying people from the real world"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow... there were quite a few LARGE words in that one... you must have found a new button :) Love you and you should write her a letter!
Post a Comment